Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Look ma, no limbs! (lesson in humility)

God made me took a lesson about it last week, when my students were quietly (but excitedly) discussing about the girl who came back from KL and played drums well. She only learned for about 1 yr, and just played loud and confident, nothing fantastic to shout about, but the students don't dare to say she's good in front of me, cos scared i become jealous..

what the??!! =/

1st thing that came into my mind is, if she's good, why worry that i'll be jealous? why would i be jealous? in the future when i'm not around she can teach you all lah, and i will be totally glad about it..


and.... do i play drums that badly that i pale in comparison to someone who only learned drums for 1 yr??
i know my students never really seen me play, or might think that my fancy stuffs are messy.. but.. am i that lousy?




then God whacked me..
"har, that's one proud boy you got there, vic."


i quiet down and reflected about this for a while, when riding my bike home.
yeah, someone has gotten too much in his head after 7 years.


so this week i started to lay the bricks of faith on top of each other rather than side by side, purposefully remember each acts of grace and wonder that God had done, and his faithfulness and kindness that pursues me daily..
And i see a clearer picture of what made me who am i today.




"look ma, no limbs.."
heh. some lame idea that popped into my head that if i'm forced to choose to lose either my limbs or my mouth. I might choose to lose my mouth. cos i think that sometimes i'm so quiet, i expressed better through drums. cos today i realised that most drum beats i play has a personal meaning or emotion behind it, heh.