Friday, August 20, 2010

LongDi

Long Di came by Christine's house when morning devotion is about to end. He is thin, average height, wears specs. He is prim n proper, wears a short sleeve collared shirt tucked into his slacks. His shirt is slightly yellowish and old, looking like an aged cloth in a dusty environment.

When he first walked into the house, he seemed quiet and unassuming, like a nice quiet boy brought up from a humble family and moved to the city to further study. He studies law in the university, or maybe already graduated.

He greeted me, put his hands together, "chom-rik-sue", with a smile. His eyes lighted up upon meeting us, and we sat down in the living down. The conversation started, and this 24-year old humble young man spoke.

He talked about the ministry that he is running, trying to create avenue for young people to earn a living while furthering their studies in the city's uni after moving in from the provinces. The 3 learning centres that he is overseeing and the leaders he is training up to live a better life and impact the society. And the clear vision he has for the future.

He does not seem to express the fiery passion for God outwardly like i thought a person with his capabilities would. His tone is calm, he explains what he does like how i would talk to my friend about where to lunch out later.

And in this same unassuming, natural conversation, he ended with this last sentence which i could not remember exactly but is roughly like this:

"My life is meant to live for God, so this is what I will continue to do for His glory".

This is the 10-min conversation that shattered my pride. The many years growing up in church, eventually thinking that to live all for my King is the greatest honour and arduous journey which also command the utmost respect among the same-faith peers is actually just as simple as this - it is only the natural thing to do so.

To follow Christ, to bear his cross, to love God n love others. Isn't that what I have signed for as a Christ-follower? To follow in His footsteps, to fulfill his calling in the works of my hands, to be molded like him in mind, soul n strength could only be the only mission of my life. I can't wash my sins away, I won't earn enough to laugh at the streets of gold, I can't even do anything of my own well without living in His grace.

So this might very well be it, not about being here in Cambodia to do all the wonderful things but more than that - witnessing the lives of the quiet people who magnified Christ and changed the world, and be inspired to do so for the next 50 years of my life.

No comments: