Sunday, December 12, 2010

Holocaust to Lincoln



A few years back when I had a few weeks of holiday from college, I did a brief research on the Holocaust and it changed my perspective in life.

And if I am granted holiday again someday, next will be on the life of Abraham Lincoln.

I want to know how he journeyed from a child till his death - the miles walked just to borrow books, the person who only had less than 2 years of formal education, the many hours spent reading the bible and copying parts to memorise it, his work as a farm labourer, rail worker, military captain, grocery store owner, postmaster, land surveyor, lawyer, political figure & US president.

The numerous, numerous setbacks - Family lost land title, death of mother at 9 yrs old, considered to be lazy by family & neighbours, 1st fiance died before marriage, 2nd relationship failed, 3rd one split as marriage day approaching. Business failed, business partner died, bankruptcy & spent 17 yrs repaying debt. 2nd son died at 3 yrs old, 3rd son died at 11 yrs old, 4th son died at 18 yrs old. Had nervous breakdown, suffered from clinical depression.

Politically: Defeated for state legislature, defeated for speaker, defeated for nomination for Congress, lost renomination, defeated for US senate, defeated for nomination for vice president, elected President.

Consistently rated as one of 3 greatest presidents of US. Went through the civil war, preserved the union, ended slavery.


Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.

~Abraham Lincoln

No comments: