Sunday, February 08, 2009

The walk after wedding (2)

"A swan, or swans, Vicky."

Yes, I know. The moment when I see her stretching out her stubborn head into my world, my world collapsed, disappeared. Nothing else matters anymore, she is perfect. 6 pounds 19 inches and a loud weeping voice - Victoria. Somehow over the years, Vicky became an easier name to call out, holler across the room, demand an explanation, pamper and coo for a surprise in waiting.

--

Without hesitation, she takes off those newly bought shoes and hands it to me (as always). Without words, Vicky sits on the edge, slowly dipping her toes in the cool summer's lake; knowing well that my arms are around her waist to prevent her from falling over, (and from growing up too fast).

I anticipate the lake, as the sun like a well-spent charcoal, setting ashore and shimmering, passing its glory to the waters below.


She watches the swans.

They are just swimming, but I imagine their heads touching each other and with slender necks, forming a love-shaped postcard picture.


"Daddy, stop writing. See, look there! Love-shaped swans!!"

"Wow, do you know what it means?"

"That they love each other?"

"You bet", I smiled.


Hugging her tightly from behind, my heart aches deeply, wishing that Kathy was here to hug her, to see our girl in her flowing dress, looking once again at the miracle of our first date.

-end-

No comments: